Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Meet a Peak Student!!

Hey everyone,
My name is Leah Jackson. I'm a Peak alum, and having a blast here! I am one of the designated bloggers for the team, so if I use the term I in stead of team, I apologize. Just a quick tid bit about me, I a first year grad student at the university of saint catherine (aka st. kate's) in Minneapolis, MN. My hobbies are track, guitar, kickboxing, and talking deep about life.
As for Turkey, what do I think of when I hear the call to prayer? At first it was mixed feelings. I feel sorry for the Islamic people and the god that they whole heartedly worship. I respect them for the time and dedication they have in their faith. I'm going to real honest with all you though, I no longer notice it. It has become old hat in a sense. I pray for God's Spirit to move through the mosques when I do hear it, how ever little that is now.

Being here in Turkey I realize how little I really need technology. I love not having my cell phone and have it go off all the time, or feel like I have facebook for email everyone all the time. I would say how little I really need to shower, but a nice long COLD shower will amazing when I'm done here.

Three words to summarize this trip thus far: unexpected, challenging, and intimidating

Ministry so far has been good, but extremely hard for me. I am a hard core intravert, so starting conversation with others is a stretch for me. I love to listen to people and am more than willing to walk around and help and talk when spoken too, but I just have issues starting the conversation. I am hoping by the end of the trip that I can be a bit over that :)

My favorite passage of scripture is Philipians, the book, but I love the portion on whatever is lovely, holy, etc, and then when it goes on to say think about such things. This verse is a life challenge. I struggle with being optimistic, and when things get down its not typically the praises that I focus on.

Now for the would you rather... would I rather laugh when I am supposed to cry or cry when I supposed to laugh?? I rather laugh when I am to cry. Maybe it will push me to be more joyous in life, plus its contagious, how can you focus on the bad when you laughing??

If you have the chance, toss a prayer or two. I'm kind of sick right now, and its hard to find the strength and enthusiasm to be with the team. Thanks!!!

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry you are not feeling well, Leah. We will be praying for you. I will also pray that the Lord will give you boldness in being able to start conversations and communicate with the people around you. Thanks for your comments.
    Merry (Rachael/Rebekah's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank you too, Leah, for sharing about your experience. I'm really looking forward to hearing more from you and the others.

    Praying continually - Ephesians 6:18

    Dean (Jamie's dad)

    PS: I didn't know what Talmidim meant until I googled it. That's an awesome name and a cool part of your mission statement. The following web site was very helpful to me: http://talmidim.org

    ReplyDelete