Saturday, July 4, 2009

so much learning...

Luke 19:10 For the son of man came to seek and save what was lost.
Again my apologies for the delay in blog updates. First off everyone is dong well, very tired for the most part but to me our fatigue is a proclamation of all we've been seeing, learning and experiencing. Everyday our team is exploring new sites and the statement the Bible has come alive really falls extremely short of ur team's endeavors. There is so much scripture that blows me away with new meaning when the culture and lifestyles are better understood and examined. We've had a mixture of history, cultural, family and biblical instruction lessons each day. Our group remains strong and I believe our prayer lives are growing as well. I realize we are down to the last 5 days so to include everone the team member bios will be doubled up on each remaining blog entry.

Emma Beyers is a 09 graduate of Meadow Creek and her hobbies include cooking, eating, lauging, and learning. She has a vast knowledge of desserts and would be happy to discuss that large amount of information over a large amount of desserts. Her three word summary of the trip is stretching,breathtaking and sweaty. yes, sweaty. Emma is very well organized and likes to maintain a strict schedule when teaching but does a wonderful job adapting to changes or unexpected time conflicts. When she hears the call to prayer sadness sweeps over for the many, many Muslims who were born into this gilded religious lifestyle, which seems very attractive on the outside with the beautiful mosques and pretty words, but hopelessly empty and unfulfilling on the inside. Emma's favorite verse is Psalm 73:26 which says, "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." beautiful. She believes that ministry comes in all forms and tht prayer and relationships are just as important as blatant street evangelism.
Our next team member is me, Danny(Boy) Hogan. I'm the guy responsible for many a night with no blog entry so feel free to aim your frustration at me. My hobbies are everything outdoors, hunting and fishing are huge, along with walking my doggies. I feel closest to God when I'm enjoying many of his natural creations. I'm also an avid reader and my favorite topics for discussion are international current events. My first thoughts on Islam were extremeism due to what the media feeds us. I was shocked when i learned of the many similarities between Christianity and Islam. i enjoy hearing the call to prayer and the discipline of ceasing your current task to speak with God but I don't agree with some of the details it includes, such as you can only speak to God during these times. i have many favorite verses and consider myself a permanent "Christian under Construction" so narrowing it down to just one is impossible but I love the book of Corinthians and reference it most often. Describing this trip in three words is difficult but I'll go with discovery, love, and Christ.

So we're coming down to the final stretch but thankfully tere are a few more sights to study. Tonight we will be going to Heiropolis to learn and watch the sunset which will be amazing. Throughout the trip each team member was divided into groups of three and given the task of leading for the day. Yesterday was the final group so that part of our assignment is finished. Each day of leadersip brought with it unique obstacles and challenges but were always met head on with teamwork, discipline and a healthy dose of prayer. Again, concerned and loving parents, you would be extremely proud at the thoughts and actions of your children. Thank you for your support and prayers, HAPPY 4th of JULY!!! We'll see you soon, Turkey Team!

1 comment:

  1. What? No pictures? I know (and love) Emma but what do you look like Danny? As I was reading Emma's bio, I could just hear her talking. She always has something interesting to say and I will miss seeing her at "The Creek" next year. We are praying for the team everyday. Enjoy your ten hour bus ride on Sunday (Rachael told us how long the trip would take). Before long you will be back home and we can't wait to hear all the wonderful details of this amazing trip! Merry K.

    ReplyDelete